April 25, 2018

Criminal Information

Phone: (419) 448-5411

The Criminal Division of the Tiffin Municipal Court handles criminal violations that have taken place within the geographic jurisdiction of this court, which is all of Seneca County excluding Jackson and Loudon Townships and the City of Fostoria. You may visit the Tiffin Criminal Division, 51 E. Market Street, second floor, Room 202, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The waiver schedule can be found in the "Bond and Waiver" section of this web site.

Criminal cases heard in the Tiffin Municipal Court are misdemeanor cases. Criminal cases that carry higher penalties may have a preliminary hearing in this court to determine probable cause. If probable cause is found final disposition will be heard and determined by the Seneca County Common Pleas Court.

Back to Top

Frequently Asked Questions

What happens at an arraignment hearing?
After a defendant has been arrested or summoned on a criminal complaint, an arraignment hearing is set. At arraignment, the defendant is advised of his or her rights. In a misdemeanor case the defendant enters a plea to the alleged offense. The pleas are:

Pleas of guilty or no contest are usually disposed of the same day at arraignment with the Judge sentencing the defendant.

In a felony case, a plea does not need to be entered at arraignment and the case is scheduled for a preliminary hearing before the court to determine if enough evidence exists in the case to bind the case over for consideration by the grand jury in Seneca County Common Pleas Court.

Do I need a lawyer?
If you are charged with a jailable offense, it may be wise to consult with an attorney. You have the right to have a lawyer represent with you at all stages of the proceedings. A lawyer can help you understand the charges against you and the defenses you can raise. You may ask for a continuance in your case to retain counsel.

If you are not able to employ counsel, you may qualify for a court appointed attorney at no cost to you. Court appointed attorneys must be requested from the judge, and you may be asked for information regarding your income or required to fill out paperwork justifying your request.

If you do no qualify for a court appointed attorney and need information about hiring an attorney, you may contact the Seneca County Bar Association or check the yellow pages.

I have witnesses for my case. Do I need to have them show up for trial?
Yes. Witnesses play an integral role in the criminal justice system and are needed to corroborate testimony or to give testimony as to acts that occurred in their presence. Witnesses are usually issued a subpoena to appear in court on a case. A subpoena compels the witness to appear in court and give testimony. Failure to honor a subpoena (appear in court) may result in the court issuing a contempt warrant for the arrest of the witness.

When arriving at the court, please check in with the clerk’s office. If you have special concerns as a witness, please bring these to the bailiff's attention and he will attempt to assist you. After the case is heard the court will excuse you. If you are in need of proof that you were present in court, the clerk’s office will provide you with a letter.

What occurs during the trial process?
With a plea of not guilty in a misdemeanor case, the case is scheduled for trial. The trial is either a bench trial or a jury trial. In a bench trial the case is tried and presented to the Judge to determine guilt or innocence. In a Jury Trial the case is tried and presented to a jury of peers from the community to determine guilt or innocence. Trials proceed in the following manner:

Who decides the sentence?
If the defendant is found guilty in a case, the Judge then decides what sentence is appropriate. This may include time in jail, fines, probation or other sanctions.

Back to Top