Civil Information

The Civil Division of the Tiffin-Fostoria Municipal Court handles cases in which the amount of money in dispute does not exceed $15,000.00. An action in the civil division begins with the filing of a complaint with the court, usually by an attorney. Complaints involving landlord tenant disputes, rent escrows and appeals to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles are filed with this division. It is important to keep in mind that the civil division is separate from the small claims division, which handles monetary claims of $6,000.00 or less.

To file a civil case in the Tiffin-Fostoria Municipal Court, the action must have occurred or the defendant must reside within the geographic jurisdiction of this court. The jurisdiction of the Tiffin location includes the City of Tiffin, the villages of Attica, Bettsville, Bloomville, Green Springs, New Riegel, and Republic and the townships of Adams, Big Spring, Bloom, Clinton, Eden, Hopewell, Liberty, Reed, Scipio, Seneca, Thompson, Pleasant or Venice Townships in Seneca County, Ohio. The jurisdiction of the Fostoria Location is the City of Fostoria, Jackson and Loudon Townships in Seneca County. Someone filing a trusteeship must reside within the geographic jurisdiction.

The court cannot offer legal advice or assistance in completing a complaint. If you have questions, you are advised to seek legal counsel. The court may not appoint an attorney to represent you in civil matters. If you need an attorney and feel that you cannot afford one, you may contact Legal Aid Services of Northwest Ohio at 1-800-837-8908.

Back to Top

Forcible Entry & Detainer (Eviction)

This type of complaint is filed by a landlord (or their attorney) against tenant(s) who have failed to keep their rent current. It may also be filed due to a violation of the lease. If anyone has co-signed a lease, they are also named in this type of complaint and may be responsible for any past due rent and damages incurred.

Eviction hearings are only on the eviction portion of the complaint. Eviction complaints usually have two causes of action - the first cause is for the restitution (return) of the premises, and the second cause is for the past due rent and any damages that may have been made to the premises. An individual has twenty-eight (28) days to answer the second cause of action in the same manner as in a civil complaint.

Eviction complaints are served upon the tenant(s) by personal service and by ordinary mail service. If service cannot be obtained by personal service, the complaint is served upon tenant(s) by certified mail.

After a landlord has received judgment for restitution of the premises, the tenant(s) should voluntarily move out as soon as possible. If a tenant does not voluntarily move out, the landlord may file for a writ of restitution. If the tenant(s) is unwilling to vacate the premises, it is the responsibility of the attorney, plaintiff, or agent to arrange for movers to be at the eviction site on the date and time specified by the court. The bailiff does not make such arrangements, handle keys or monies or direct any party to a specific moving company. The landlord will need to make arrangements to provide the necessary help to accomplish this. The landlord or court is not responsible for any theft or damage to a tenant's belongings as a result of an eviction. Therefore, it is in the best interests of a tenant to move their own belongings voluntarily.

Notice to leave premises form and eviction complaints are available from the clerk’s office or may be downloaded from the "Forms" section of this web site.

Back to Top

Civil Forms

Below you will find various forms useful for civil cases. To download a form, right-click the appropriate link below and click "Save Target As..." (exact wording may vary).

Form Name Pages Size Link
12pt Appeal Petition 1 8KB Download
Affidavit for Garnishment of Other than Personal Belongings 1 12KB Download
Complaint in Forcible Entry & Detainer 1 12KB Download
Notice to Leave Premises 1 9KB Download
Motion to Continue 1 41KB Download

Back to Top

Filing Fees

Appeal of Civil or Small Claims Judgment $150.00
BMV Appeals
(12-Point, Non-Compliance)
Certified Mail $10.00
Certificate of Judgment $10.00
Certificate of Mailing $4.00
Exemplified/Authenticated Copy $5.00
Certified Copy $3.00
Copies $0.25
Civil Complaint (Non-Refundable)
** Please send an Ordinary Mail Request with all new suits**
Civil Complaint - Publication $300.00
Civil Counterclaim/Cross-Claim $60.00
Civil Amended Complaint $25.00
Civil Forcible Entry & Detainer (Non-Refundable) $150.00
Civil Replevin Action
(does not include deposit for pick up order)
Civil Revivor $60.00
Civil Cognovit Complaint $90.00
Civil Jury Deposit $750.00
Transfer to Civil Docket from Small Claims
($15.00 Legal Aid)
Transfer to another Court $50.00
Transfer from another Court $70.00
Deposit for Issuing Subpoena/Sheriff
(Does not include mileage)
Bailiff fee to serve subpoena
(Does not include mileage
Bank Attachment $40.00
**Fee to Banking Institution $1.00
Debtor's Exam (per defendant) $40.00
Wage Garnishment
(Amount due under $500.00) $50.00
(Amount due between $500.00 and $3000.00) $85.00
(Amount due over $3000.00) $135.00
Executions (Includes Service & Deposit) $250.00
Additional fees of $2.00 per page will be incurred if case proceeds beyond initial pretrial conference
Small Claims Filing Fee (Non-Refundable) $60.00
Small Claims Counterclaim $30.00
Small Claims Amended Complaint $15.00
Trusteeships (plus 2% poundage of monies receipted) $60.00
(Plus $5.00 per creditor)
Witness Fees
$6.00 Half Day plus .565 mileage
$12.00 Full Day plus .565 mileage

Back to Top

Landlord/Tenant Frequently Asked Questions

My tenant has not paid the rent. Do I have to file an eviction with the court to get them out?
Yes. In Ohio, a landlord of residential premises cannot physically remove the tenant from the premises, terminate utilities, or change the locks to encourage a tenant to move from the premises. This is called "self-help," and is illegal in Ohio. A landlord must file a complaint against the tenant, go to court, be granted a judgment, and follow the court-instituted eviction procedure to remove the tenant from the premises.

Is it true that the court does not do set-outs in the winter?
No. The court may limit the number of move-outs, which may take place around the Christmas and New Year holidays because of staff limitations. The court, however, performs court-supervised move-outs five days a week, all twelve months of the year.

I understand it may take 60 to 90 days to evict a tenant. Is that true?
For a simple non-payment case, a tenant may be evicted in less than five weeks: The landlord must serve the three-day notice, then wait three business days. The landlord then files the complaint with the Clerk of Courts. The eviction hearing date may not be held any sooner than seven (7) days from the date the tenant is served. If the eviction is granted, the move-out may take place within ten (10) days from the date the writ of restitution of the premises is issued.

My tenant has not paid rent for eight months. Can I get an immediate set-out date?
No. Tenants who are evicted generally are given ten (10) days to move from the premises. Under limited circumstances, the court may shorten that time if , for instance, there has been significant police activity at the premises, evidence of drug activity, or evidence that the tenants pose an immediate threat to the health and safety of the landlord or other tenants.

Is the eviction procedure different for "Section 8" or subsidized tenants?
Yes. Tenants who participate in federal subsidy programs, including the Section 8 programs, are afforded special protection under federal law. As a general rule, subsidized housing tenants are entitled to written notice of their opportunity to meet with the management, and an opportunity to meet with the management. They also may be entitled to an opportunity to correct their conduct before the landlord may file an eviction action. The specific requirements vary with each of the subsidized or "Section 8" programs. A landlord interested in evicting a Section 8 tenant should first know the type of Section 8 or subsidy involved. Second, the landlord should read carefully the signed lease and contract. Finally, because both federal and state laws apply to Section 8 evictions, the court recommends that Section 8 landlords obtain legal advice from an attorney before filing an eviction against a tenant in a federal subsidy program.

My landlord has refused to make repairs to my apartment. Can I withhold my rent?
No. In Ohio, a tenant whose landlord refuses or fails to make repairs cannot withhold their rent. However, the tenant may deliver to the landlord written notice of the defective conditions or repairs requested. Then, if the landlord does not make the repairs in a reasonable amount of time, the tenant may deposit the rent with the court. You should consult with an attorney to get more information about rent escrow.

Are move-outs delayed if tenants have children?
No. As a general rule, move-outs may be scheduled as early as seven days from the date of the court hearing.

Back to Top

Copyright © 2007-2024 Tiffin-Fostoria Municipal Court

Site Designed by Henschen & Associates, Inc.